Heel Pain Treatment
How do we treat heel pain?
After an asessment with our podiatric specialist, you may be advised on one or a combination of the following options for heel pain treatment:
- Shockwave Therapy: Shockwave therapy can be used for heel pain treatment, this non-invasive technology allows for the fascia to heel by encouraging increased blood flow and healing factors from the body to be activated. It has a growing evidence base in treating plantar fasciitis.
- Orthotics/Insoles: These can improve foot function, cushion the heels and reduce arch strain. They are effective in most patients suffering from heel pain. Our podiatrist will offer advice on the most appropriate orthotics for you.
- Injections: In recurrent and very painful heel pain, we may recommend an injection of cortisone or plasma rich protein (PRP). These are effective in reducing heel pain and are performed accurately by using ultrasound guidance. Occasionally a steroid injection can help with a very painful heel that has acutely flared up.
- Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy is used in combination with all the above treatments to ensure maximal effectiveness and rehabilitation.
- Surgery: Less than 1% of cases requires surgery and is reserved as a last resort
Schedule an Appointment
Click below to book an appointment online
Thoughts and advice on foot health care from the Podogo team.